Last night I attended a creative writing prompt group, for the first time ever, via MeetUp.com. It was my one-writerly-activity-for-the-week, a variation on Julia Cameron’s weekly artist’s date.
I was astonished, just astonished, did I say astonished?, how the storytelling just flowed out of my companions. My first prompt response was okay, the second dreadful, and by the third I decided to punt. I started this list: “Why I hate writing in narrative”:
- It takes too long.
- It distracts from the sentence.
- I can’t do it.
- It hurts my brain trying to do it.
- Where are the ideas?
- Real people make way more interesting prompts.
- It doesn’t require me to dig deeper into myself.
- I prefer the logical imperative to the sequential imperative.